Reasonable Accommodation

Reasonable Accommodation

Am I entitled to accommodations in assessment due to a disability or specific learning need?

Yes, Cork ETB centres do all that is reasonable to provide accommodation in examinations and skills demonstrations to enable learners with specific learning needs to demonstrate their level of actual attainment, in as far as is possible, without undermining the validity of the assessment.

Applications for reasonable accommodations can be made on the following five grounds:

1) Learning Difficulty

2) Hearing Difficulty

3) Visual Difficulty

4) Physical Difficulty

5) Mental Health or Behavioural Difficulty

What types of accommodations are available?

The accommodations available depend on the specific disability or learning need. They may include the following:

• Using a word processor or a recording device

• Assistive technology

• A scribe in exceptional cases

• A reader

• A colour identifier

• A waiver from spelling, grammar and punctuation in language subjects

• Additional time

• Enlarged papers

• A personal loop system or Irish sign language interpreter

• A separate examination centre

How do I apply for Reasonable Accommodations in assessments?

To apply for reasonable accommodations in assessment a learner needs to complete

Evidence of Disability/Specific Need Form and attach the appropriate evidence.

All requests for assessment accommodations should be made to Colin Manning as early as possible in the course but no later than 3 months before the exam dates.

What evidence is required?

One of following documents must be provided as evidence:

A. a copy of a report from an appropriate medical consultant or specialist diagnosing the specific need. See Appendix 6 6.6.a Specific Details of Needs Recognised and the Appropriate Evidence Required for the specific details of the reports accepted.


B. evidence of reasonable accommodations previously been granted in State Examinations i.e. in Junior Certificate or Leaving Certificate examinations.


C. If the learner does not have the relevant report or evidence of previous accommodations then they can get 6.6b Evidence of Disability/Specific Need Form completed by the required medical consultant. Reports will only be accepted from appropriately qualified professionals as outlined in Appendix 6.6a.


D. If a learner has difficulty accessing the appropriate professional then their GP may be able to complete the form, if they have documentation from the appropriate specialist/consultant on file confirming the diagnosis. The centre may request a copy of this documentation. Diagnosis made by GPs alone will not be accepted.

What happens next?

Following detailed examination of the application the designated staff member (Colin Manning) will let you know if accommodations can be provided. They will work with you to identify the most appropriate assessment accommodations that can be reasonably provided. The recommendations are passed on to the person coordinating the assessments and they will put the arrangements in place.

What if I am not happy with the decisions made?

If you are not happy with decisions regarding reasonable accommodations in assessment you should write to the Principal Ms K Casey