Community Care 5M2786
These Course will commence again in Sept 2018. If you have a question regarding the course please email email@example.com
The Healthcare/Community Care assistant course equips students with the skills and knowledge to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment. You will learn about the roles and responsibilities of the Care Worker and acquire practical skills for work in a variety of caring environments such as nursing homes, hospitals and home help support.
You will gain an understanding of the caring process, appreciate the models of care and develop an awareness of caring ethics and etiquette in care situations. The course will provide graduates with a high standard of training and assessment leading to a recognised qualification for those pursuing a career in the Health-care sector. In addition, you will be afforded the opportunity to further your personal development and enhance your communication skills.
A national Certificate QQI level 5 in Community Care 5M2786 Major Award and in Healthcare Support 5M4339 is awarded on successful completion. The award is recognised within the National Framework of Qualifications (See Below)
Note: Community Care and Health Care Support are both care courses, both certify graduates to work in all caring settings, they both cover the same topics and employers do not distinguish between them.
If you choose to study in Midleton your qualification is Community Care 5M2786 and if you study in Youghal Healthcare Support 5M4339.
To obtain a full QQI (Fetac) Level 5 a learner must be successful in 8 components.
Social Welfare Recipients/Medical Card Holders Course Cost €50 Exam Fee Free Not a Social Welfare Recipients/Medical Card Holders Course Cost €250 Exam Fee €50
€50 of Course Cost is Payable before end of June.
A student services costs of €50 is paid by all students this pays for all books, photocopying etc.
Book Loan Scheme: All course text books are loaned to students covered by the student services fee.
Certification additional in Carer Courses
- Manual Handling and Patient Moving Certificate (additional payment required of €60)
Work experience placement is an integral part of this course. Candidates gain first-hand experience by attending appropriate and related work placements within the community care environment. Garda clearance is essential to partake in work experience which comprises a days placement weekly and two weeks block placement.
Health Care/ Community Care Course Subjects
- Care Provision and Practice 5N2705- Specific groups in need of care in the community to include children, adolescents, adults, older people, those with special needs,Skills involved in total patient care. Caring qualities when working with people in care situations to include recognition of their requirements for privacy, independence, dignity and positive self-image
- Human Growth and Development 5N1279 – Learn psychology throughout the lifespan, how we grow, learn develop and change throughout our lives. Understand factors that affect development throughout the lifespan. Develop interpersonal/interactive skills appropriate to responding to the needs of others.
- Safety & Health at Work 5N1794 – Develop skills in identifying hazards and carry out risk assessments. Familiarise yourself with the responsibilities and duties of the employer and employee with regards to health and safety. Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials and waste in the workplace. Investigate risk facts in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink and drugs.
- Care of the Older Person 5N2706 – Explore how older people change and develop psychologically, physically and socially. Develop practical caring strategies for working with older people.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Care Skills 5N2770 – Understand the holistic care of a client over the full life span from birth to death, including areas such as disabilities, mental health, care of the older person and palliative care. Practical instruction in washing, feeding, mobilisation, toileting and grooming. End of life care is included as part of the holistic care.
- Social Studies 5N1370 – Understand your position as an individual, family member and as part of a community and wider society. Examine critically contemporary social issues, learn how some sociological theories can be applied to Irish society, increase your effectiveness in life and work through understanding social issues e.g the impact of discrimination on individuals and groups in society
- Care Support 5N0758 – Explore roles, responsibilities and entitlements of a care worker. Demonstrate an ability to plan and provide enhanced quality of care.
To obtain a full QQI (Fetac) Level 5 Community Care Award a learner must be successful in 8 components.
Learners, who have successfully completed the Community Care course, are eligible to apply for employment as a carer within the community health services. Alternatively, the full QQI (FETAC) Level 5 award facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third level institutions to study social care/studies.
If the cost of childcare preventing you from doing a course with us. All our courses are CETS approved which means that Childcare is subsidised, costing somewhere between €25 and €10 per week per child.
Just let the college know you wish to avail of CETS and check with your childcare center that they have a CETS place.
more info on Citizens info link below